I actually made this a long time ago, as well. (Well, a few months ago) I bet you could guess. Since it’s not really zucchini season.
I made it before I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I know. Bummer, right? I can’t eat stuff like this now. (sad face)
At one point, though, I had a lot of zucchinis. But, truth be told, I actually made this bread with a yellow squash. But doesn’t “zucchini bread” sound so much more appetizing than “squash bread”?
I sort of combined two recipes, because I love coffee cake. But really, just that awesome crunchy sugary top part. The rest of a coffee cake is just like a regular cake. I thought I could put that delicious topping on a zucchini/squash bread. You know. Take it to the next level.
Which just makes me think, “Well, is it a cake or a bread, then?”
It’s a thing. It’s whatever you want it to be. But it’s goooood.
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup applesauce or apple butter (I used the latter!)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (or summer squash)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease up a loaf pan, any way you prefer. I just use cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, applesauce, and sugar until smooth. Add egg to the creamed mixture and mix.
- In another, smaller bowl combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time until incorporated, and the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and nuts.
- Pour batter into the greased pan.
- Now make crumb topping: Mix all of the dry ingredients into yet another bowl, and use a fork or (if you’re fancy) pastry cutter to cut the margarine into the mixture. It should resemble course meal when you’re done.
- Carefully spread crumb topping mixture over the top.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown or when skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Oh man. It’s so good. I like it with some softened cream cheese on top, but do whatever you want!