What is prettier than a cupcake? A purple cupcake, maybe?
Well, I suppose the end product doesn’t look that purple. But it’s what’s inside that counts. And this is what’s inside:
Baking and I have a very special relationship. While I have honestly only really delved into cooking in the last 5 years or so, I spent almost 7 years of my life working in one bakery or another. All through undergrad, grad school, and then a few aimless years thrown in there where I managed to accomplish absolutely nothing. Except frosting cupcakes and feeling shitty about myself, that is.
I have a ton of purple carrots. So I thought carrot cake would be a fun way to use all these carrots that I have!
The batter is kind of purple, isn’t it? The finished cake looked a bit more like blueberry cake than carrot cake. But I can assure you, it tasted like carrot cake. Here is the recipe! The cake is adapted from this recipe, the frosting is my own recipe. Not that it’s complicated icing or anything.
Purple Carrot Cupcakes:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups sugar
1 cup apple butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
3 cups peeled, grated purple carrots (okay, okay you can use any color. They’ll taste the same!)
- Preheat oven to 350. If you are using cupcake liners, now is the time to line those tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry stuff: Flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl, mix together the sugar, apple butter, and veg oil.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beat until they are incorporated.
- Then add the flour mixture, beating just until everything comes together.
- Add the carrots and stir until well combined
- Add the batter to the prepared muffin pan.Don’t fill em too full, now. They’ll overflow. (3/4 full is perfect)
- Bake the cupcakes for 17-20 minutes, or until you can stick a toothpick in the cupcakes and it comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely before frosting them.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2-3 cups of confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Beat butter in a stand mixer until all the lumps are gone
- Beat in cream cheese, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended.
- Beat in vanilla.
If you are wondering why they are naked, it’s because I was out of cupcake papers. So I used those little silicon baking cups. Which are awesome, except that I only have 12 of them. So, I had to wait until each batch cooled before baking the next. Talk about inefficient cupcaking!
Ok. Just one more picture. Mmm frosting. Also, check out my pictures, they are getting a little better, aren’t they?
*Check it out! This post has been entered into What’s In The Box recipe link party at In Her Chucks!